Monday, July 28

Pond


I've begun work on a series of scarves for a show in the middle of November with Plantation House. Quite excited and I have new ideas to try out.My scarves are all one of a kind and entirely made and finished by hand ( my hands I might add). Currently working on a scarf called Pond. My signature stitch is running stitch which is being worked on cotton silk fabric. Pond is more of a dupatta or a stole. Two and a half metres long and twenty two inches wide. There are circles of running stitch scattered at random along the length of the stole in dull pink ( water lilies), dark brown (dried leaves), green ( lily pads) and blue ( sky reflected in the water)


I have two done, this is the third and about fifteen more to go. I'm considering making two to three sarees this time, would like to see what the response will be. The saree is forty four inches wide and five and a half metres long. It will be a new format and layout I'll be working with.

14 comments:

Jane said...

It's so amazing how such a simple stitch can be so effective

Maya Sara Matthew said...

I couldn't agree with you more.running stitch is my all time favourite.Thanks for dropping by Miss 376

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, love the fabric and the color

What type of thread are you working with, just to get some inspiration for some silk cotton tunics which i m planning :)

Sangeetha

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Hi Sangeeta,I always use Anchor embroidery thread, they are colour fast and the shade card is extensive.

Anonymous said...

this is fabulous - I really like your use of running stitch - its got a kantha -like feel to it. this is a real 'less is more' embroidery.

pRiyA said...

i wanna be a frog in that pond.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Yes, Paula my scarves and stoles are kind of minimal,subtle, great attention to detail and reversable but there's another side of me that simply loves the over the top excessive embellishment of things.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Effects of the bar of bounty wearing off Priya?

Timaree said...

Mmmm, luscious looking. The running stitch is used a lot in Japanese embroidery too. They use it in a form of quilting but the name escapes me (I want to say shibori but that could be way off). Running stitch depends on a good eye for staying parallel. You have a lot of work to do. Would love to see this whole shawl in a picture to see how you did your design.

a2susan said...

I read your comment on another blog about maybe joining the BJP for the upcoming year. Do it! It's a wonderful project and everyone is so supportive and encouraging of other people's work. ANd your work is marvelous, add a few beads here and there and you have a page.

Susan

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Hello Susan thanks for visiting and being so encouraging.With all the egging on to join the 2008 BJP and wonderful words about my work (its going to my head) I think I'll join and work day and night to keep up with all the various projects I've got myself involved in.

Unknown said...

How very beautiful! Love the colours. Your blog is fabulous.
Rosie

kate said...

I found your blog through art propelled and was attracted by your name...embellisher. I love your blog and your stitch work! Especially the simplicity of the running stitch. It is subtle and elegant. I sometimes do stitching on japanese paper and use the running stitch. I think you have inspired my post for tomorrow!

Maya Sara Matthew said...

Hi Kate thanks for stopping by.Your work is very inspiring too.

ShareThis